When I have to (like when I accidentally turn off my alarm instead of snoozing), I can pop out of bed and get dressed and ready to leave my house in about 15 minutes. And that includes a quick shower.
Impossible, you say?
Nope. It’s all about streamlining your morning routine.
Here are 5 ways to super charge your morning routine and get out the door in 15 minutes or less (without looking like a hot mess):
- Go for the old standbys – when you’re running super late, it’s not the best time to go experimental with your look. Grab an outift that you know makes you look and feel amazing, stick to your easiest makeup look, and put away the curling iron. That’s right, I’m giving you permission to toss you hair up into a ponytail or cute bun. Take advantage while you can.
- Minimize distractions – if you’re like me, you like to have some kind of noise on in the morning. Whether it’s some music or putting any old thing on the TV just to break up the early (or not so early) monring silence, on days like this, any distraction is off limits. In getting out the door in 15 minutes, focus is essential.
- Let it go – when you’re in a hurry, don’t stress about keeping things neat. Go ahead and drop that towel on the floor and leave the cap off the toothpaste. It’s OK, really. You can always put everything back in order when you’re not in the biggest hurry ever.
- Pick up the pace – even keeping things as simple as possible and skipping wiping around the sink, keeping up with the 15 minute timeline requires a little hustle (ugh, I really don’t like that word, but it’s the best word for this sentence). No, I don’t mean in a work sense of the word, but movement. If you’re in a hurry, it’s important to keep moving. While you’re brushing your teeth, pull out your makeup bag. Put your shoes on while you’re brushing your hair. Just keep moving.
- Ohm – it might sound like I’m telling you to run around like a crazy person, but getting out the door in 15 minutes is just not gonna happen unless you stay a little zen. If you start to stress, things are gonna slip, and you’ll end up stretching your time. So even though you’ll be moving fast, take a deep breath if you start to feel your shoulders tighten up, or if you find yourself thinking about how you’re never gonna make it.
And one last tip:
Whatever you do, don’t skip breakfast. Even if it’s a slice of plain bread with a dollop of PB, be sure to grab some food as you dash out the door. Because getting out the door on time when you’ve slept in isn’t gonna help your day if you end up biting someone’s head off because you’re hangry.
Dashing out the door doesn’t mean you have to forgo makeup. Comment below to grab your copy of my 5-3-1 makeup guide to learn how to create a simple, polished makeup look in just 3 minutes with 5 products.